Here is a teaser. I resumed my older attempt to create a preview support for Android UI layouts. As you probably know other IDEs are better in this area so it is time to close the gap a bit.
Of course what you can see on the picture is not ready for general consumption yet but I'd like to make some restricted version available soon. Incomplete list of things that need to be done looks like this:
- Fix UI glitches in sizing and positioning of rendered layout, better integrate into NetBeans window system and generally provide better feedback.
- More complete set of customization controls to let you select locales, modes, themes, and so on.
- The prototype works for layouts using widgets from SDK and is not aware of project items. It needs to parse and resolve project resources and be able to instantiate project classes.
- Tie it together with editor and refresh the layout as the source file is edited.
- Probably there is more like ability to display fragments.
- Far ahead is GUI designer where you can edit layout.